The Accounting Program mission is congruent with the mission of UHMC, offering credit educational opportunities and striving to create a student focused educational environment that emphasizes high quality teaching and learning. The Accounting Program serves a diverse student population, many of whom are first generation college students, and we are responsive to the needs of both traditional and non-traditional students whose life experiences and commitment to learning enrich the overall educational environment.
- Employer/Business Community
- College Administration and Faculty
- Local Community
- To prepare and place accounting majors for entry‑level positions in accounting related occupations
- To help students prepare for transfer to a four‑year institution.
- To help employees within the accounting profession upgrade job skills and knowledge
- To provide students with accounting work experience through the Cooperative Education program
- To provide support courses for other programs.
- To provide individuals with basic accounting skills for personal use
- To promote ethical responsibility in the accounting profession
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate satisfactory proficiency in the basic fundamental principles of financial and managerial accounting following general accepted accounting principles with special emphasis on the elements of the accounting cycle; the rules of debit and credit, journalizing and posting, trial balances, adjustments, worksheets, financial statements, and the closing process.
- Demonstrates satisfactory proficiency in the basic principles procedures, terminology, and application of income and payroll tax laws.
- Demonstrates satisfactory proficiency in hands-on accounting skills for maintaining accounting records using commercial accounting software, and the use of spreadsheets to solve accounting problems.