International Students: How to Apply
The staff of International Programs is here to help you every step of the way through the admissions process. You’ll receive personal attention and guidance here at UHMC and become a valued and important member of our campus community. We look forward to meeting you!
International students may apply to the credit program for the fall and spring semesters.
The I-20 application deadline is July 1 for fall and November 1 for spring.
Minimum Requirements for Degree Program:
- You must be 18 years of age
OR you must have completed high school or the equivalent
- You must have a minimum TOEFL score Minimum TOEFL score of 480 or 157 (Computer Based Testing)
- UHMC COMPASS Placement Test Reading score 56
- UHMC COMPASS Placement Test Writing score 40
- Interview (Interchange Level 3)
- Paragraph Test (a minimum of English 19 recommendation)
Applicants not meeting any of the above requirements are required to enroll in the Maui Language Institute program (ESL) for a minimum of one semester prior to entering the credit program. If you pass the English language requirements, you may apply directly to the credit program.
To Apply, submit the following documents:
- Complete the University of Hawai’i, Community College System general application. Download a PDF of the application here.
- Complete the International Student Supplementary Information form. Current bank statements and financial aid award letters must accompany the Supplementary Information form.
- Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) if from a non-English speaking country and achieve a score of 480 minimum. This test, developed and administered by the Educational Testing Service, is given at international testing centers. Results should be received by the College. Students may schedule by phone, fax, or by mail. Email: email@example.com Fax: 609-771-7500 Mail: Test of English as a Foreign Language Educational Testing Service P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ U.S.A. 08541-6151
- Submit a complete and certified English translation of your high school transcript.
- In compliance with public health regulations, new students must show evidence that they are free of active tuberculosis, measles, mumps, and rubella prior to enrollment. UHMC complies with all applicable requirements of other State health agencies and councils as may be required by law or by rules and regulations. International students must wait until they arrive in the US to complete these test as only tuberculosis ands chest x-ray clearances administered in the US will be accepted.
- Demonstrate proof that you are enrolled in a health and accident insurance plan. The intent of this requirement is to protect international students against the high cost of unanticipated health care expenses resulting from accidents or illness. The average cost per year is approximately $500. More information is available from Admission & Records or Student Activities. Contact Form International students are required to take a full course load (a minimum of 12 credit hours a semester toward their program) in addition to complying with all regulations of the Immigration and Naturalization Service as well as with applicable policy of Board of Regents of the University of Hawai‘i and the policies of University of Hawaii Maui College.
For Students Transferring from any U.S. college or university:
- Submit the Transfer In form, completed and signed by your current U.S. institution.
- Submit a copy of I-20 from your current U.S. institution.
- Students who have attended a college or university prior to UHMC may be eligible to transfer some or all of their credits for use towards a UHMC degree. Requests for evaluation of such credits may be made after acceptance and the initial advising appointment.
- TOEFL Requirement: If you have completed English 100 or an equivalent course at a U.S. university/college, the TOEFL requirement may be waived. Submit a copy of your transcripts with your application and contact us for more information.
- International Student Application Form Instructions
- International Student Application Form
- Transfer In Form (for students transferring from a U.S. institution)
- Supplementary Form for International students
- To Apply to the Maui Language Institute
Mail or Fax ALL of the documents to:
University of Hawaii-Maui College
310 Ka’ahumanu Ave
Kahului, HI 96732-1617
Fax to (808) 242-9618
To Contact us : (808) 984-3267
International: (808) 984-3517
Off-Maui & Mainland: 1 800 479-6692
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. However, we strongly recommend applying 3 months before the start of a semester (credit) and at least 2 months before the beginning of a session for the Intensive English Program.