CareerLink - Cooperative Education (Internships)
What is Cooperative Education?
It is an internship program that gives students an opportunity to receive classroom-based education with practical work experience. This special academic program at UHMC places students in field experiences related to their majors or for career exploration. Co-op on a resume or job application signals an employer that an applicant has combined education with work experience and has more to offer than the average job-seeker.
What is an advantage to enrolling in Co-op?
- Earn 1, 2, or 3 credits
- Co-op Ed may satisfy an elective
- Validate your education and career choice
- Gain work experience in your major
- Meet and network with employers
- Co-op may lead to future employment
What is required to enroll in Co-op?
Co-op is open to ALL students who have:
- Completed 2 or more semesters in their academic program
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0
How many hours do I need to complete?
- 1 credit = 75 internship hours
- 2 credit = 150 internship hours
- 3 credit = 225 internship hours
UHMC Programs that require Co-op Education credits to graduate are:
- Administration of Justice (AJ) enroll in AJ293V (3 credits)
- Business Technology (BUSN) enroll in BUSN193V (1-3 credits)
- Construction Technology (CTEC) enroll in CASE 193V (2-3 credits)
- Electronics & Computer Engineering Technology (ECET) enroll in ETRO193V (1 credit)
Liberal Arts students enroll in CASE 193v to fulfill a program elective to explore career opportunities.
See your Program Coordinator or Counselor to verify amount of Co-op credits to enroll in.
Co-op can be taken as an elective (optional) class for the following programs:
- Accounting (ACC) enroll in ACC193v
- Agriculture (AG) enroll in AG193v
- Applied Business and Information Technology (ABIT) enroll in BUS393v
- Business Administration (BUS) enroll in BUS193v
- Fashion Technology (FT) enroll in FT93v
Information about Internships
- Co-op Ed Faculty and Program Coordinator will approve internship sites and learning objectives
- Mentors will evaluate intern’s work performance