International Students

FaceBook Icon

If you are an international student, please read this information carefully and contact the Cooperative Education Coordinator for details.

General Guidelines and Procedures for Cooperative Education

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for F-1 Visa Students 2012-2013

These are internal Cooperative Education guidelines and procedures as they apply ONLY to F-1 visa students officially enrolled in Cooperative Education for academic credits. They are not to be interpreted as official University of Hawaii Maui College (UHMC), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS) guidelines and procedures for employment of F-1 students. The final interpretation of applicable rules and regulations and endorsement of eligibility for employment by F-1 visa students resides with the University of Hawaii Maui College Designated School Official (UHMC – DSO), the UHMC Admissions Officer/Registrar.

  1. Eligibility for Cooperative Education CPT: The UHMC Co-op program may recommend approval of a field experience/internship for students who meet the following conditions:
    1. Is enrolled on a full-time basis in a Service-approved institution for at least nine consecutive months prior to applying for CPT.
    2. Is in good standing as a student (as determined by DSO). For Co-op, at least 2.0 in the major. Completion of and at least a C grade in previous Co-op CPT.
    3. Fulfills all other applicable rules and regulations pertaining to F-1 student visa status.
    4. Secures a position that is directly related to the student’s major area of study and in which Curricular Practical Training is an integral part of an established curriculum.
    5. Enrolls in Co-op for specific number of academic credits for the entire duration of the CPT.
    6. Maintains status and good academic standing.
  2. Categories of Cooperative Education CPT for F-1 Visa Students:
    1. Fall/Spring/Summer Co-op CPT: for the duration of the designated period. Co-op may recommend a reasonable extension if the Instructor and Designated School official determine that the student will benefit from additional CPT. Otherwise, student is expected to officially register for the specific CPT in the appropriate semester. Student must also complete each semester of Co-op CPT with at least a C grade before registering for the next Co-op CPT.
    2. Incomplete Make-up: Co-op will permit student to continue CPT to complete/fulfill minimum work hours and/or other course requirements in order to clear an Incomplete grade from the preceding semester. Student must request an extension and meet conditions (F-1 Form 1 Section VI).
  3. Terms of Co-op CPT and allowable Work Hours:
    1. Work hours are limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week during the semester and may be full time, if authorized, during semester breaks and vacations (e.g., winter and summer breaks).
    2. Curricular practical training may not begin and/or exceed period of time nor number of work hours authorized by UHMC DSO (per SEVIS Form I-20).
    3. Any extension/continuation of curricular practical training beyond the termination date noted on SEVIS Form I-20 must be requested by the student and approved in advance by the UHMC DSO.
    4. Allowable Work Hours:
      1 credit = minimum of 75; no more than 100.
      2 credits = minimum of 150; no more than 175.
      3 credits = minimum of 225; no more than 250.
    5. Co-op work authorization is employer and position specific; student must notify Co-op instructor immediately and receive approval, if necessary, for any changes in employer and/or position or work duties.
  4. Extension and Re-authorization of Co-op CPT: Co-op curricular practical training is employer and date specific. Therefore, authorization must be received for each period of Co-op CPT and/or any extensions. Complete the extension and/or re-authorization process at least two weeks before the expiration of the current authorization.
  5. Notification of Changes in Authorized Co-op CPT Status: Co-op work authorization is employer and date specific. Student is responsible for informing Co-op instructor and obtaining approval, if necessary, for the following changes in CPT status – position and/or assigned duties; employer; duration of CPT.
  6. Procedures: F-1 visa students may not begin off-campus CPT until Steps 1 through 3 have been complete, reviewed, and approved by the appropriate UHMC official. Allow at least 2 weeks for processing of the application before CPT start date. Employers must be told that there is a waiting period before the student can begin working. Failure to remain in status may cause the student’s employment authorization to be determined.


  • Read Guidelines and Procedures for Cooperative Education CPT for F-1 Visa Students (CPT Doc 1). Complete CPT Form 2, if applicable.
  • Secure an offer of employment related to your curricular/educational objective. Give Letter of Introduction (CPT Doc 1) to the prospective employer.
  • Complete Sections I and III (Student and Employment Information and Student Request for Authorization of CPT) on CPT Form 1.
  • Ask employer to complete Section II and IV (Employer Certification on CPT Form 1.
  • Give completed CPT Form 1, current advising transcript, and copy of registration in Cooperative Education class to the Co-op Instructor to review and sign in Section V.


  • Take the following forms to the UHMC Designated School Official (DSO), Steve Kameda, in Student Services
    • Copy of signed F-1 Form 1
    • SEVIS Form I-20
  • DSO will determine final eligibility for Co-op CPT and, if approved, will endorse SEVIS Form I-20, indicating start and end dates and number of approved work hours.


  • BEFORE starting work, student must give a copy of the completed, signed/endorsed SEVIS Form I-20 to the Co-op office.