Students can also follow the steps in the Getting Started Steps
Make An Appointment?
When Should I See A Counselor?
If you need assistance with any of the above, please contact your counselor.
Prepare For An Advising Session?
In order to get the most out of an advising session with an advisor/counselor it is important for you to be prepared. Preparation leads to an effective advising session that result in a better understanding in one’s personal and academic endeavors. The most effective way to get prepared is for you to join Maui CARL. Maui CARL is the Counseling, Advising and Registration Laulima site. It was designed to prepare you for your academic advising session. Complete Maui CARL before you meet with your counselor. A UH Admissions application must have been submitted to access Maui CARL. Personal assistance is available at The Learning Center at (808) 984-3240.
How to Join the Maui CARL Laulima Site
Student & Advisor Responsibilities
You are encouraged to go to the Counseling & Advising webpage to read over information which covers college policies and procedures, services and resources, and help with charting your academic plans. Please review the Academic Advising Agreement below prior to the appointment. For your first appointment, please bring a signed copy of the Academic Advising Agreement.
UH Maui College Academic Advising Agreement
WHAT IS ACADEMIC ADVISING?
The academic advising process is a partnership and shared responsibility between the student and counselor. It includes exploring the value of a certificate and/or degree, reviewing campus services and policies, discussing educational and career plans, and making appropriate course selections.
The outcome of your first academic advising appointment will result in creating a course schedule for the upcoming semester.
EXPECTATIONS OF STUDENTS:
- Be an active participant in identifying your career and educational goal(s) and creating an academic plan.
- Come to appointments prepared with your CARL tentative course schedule and STAR academic journey print out for registration advising session.
- Learn and understand degree requirements, resources, policies, and procedures as appropriate.
- Monitor your academic progress and take appropriate action in relation to personal responsibilities.
- Use advising tools, such as STAR Academic Journey (degree audit), college websites, schedule of classes, and the college catalog to gather information and track your academic progress.
- Check your MyUH Portal account regularly as this is a primary means of communication (e.g. email, announcements, calendar).
Accept final responsibility for all of your decisions and actions.
EXPECTATIONS OF COUNSELORS:
- Provide a respectful, supportive environment for advising.
- Maintain confidentiality according to established standards (FERPA).
- Help students clarify their educational and/or career goals and develop an academic plan.
- Provide information about UHMC policies and procedures, majors, degree requirements, careers, and resources.
- Assist you in course scheduling, transfer, and understanding their STAR academic pathway (degree audit).
- Empower students to be independent, resourceful thinkers who will accept responsibility for their decisions.
- Refer students to other campus, system, and/or community resources as needed.
- Actively participate in professional development to improve skills and knowledge.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Define “academic advising”
- Describe the “student responsibilities in the Advising Agreement.
- Explain what is accomplished at the end of an advising session.
- Agree to the “student responsibilities” listed in the Academic Advising Agreement.