Culinary Arts (CULN)
Love the excitement of cooking, baking, and serving great food? The ever-expanding culinary industries need a dedicated and skilled workforce. From fine dining to catered events and even the growing popularity of food trucks, UH Maui College’s Culinary Arts Program prepares students for the stimulating culinary field. Our graduates have attained positions at 5-star resorts and restaurants, opened independent businesses, and starred in top cooking shows.
DEGREES THAT CAN BE EARNED
Certificate of Competence (CO)
Certificate of Completion (CC)
Certificate of Achievement (CA)
Associate in Applied Science (AAS)
*Program length depends on student placement and credit load.
Lab requirements include basic hand tools, knives, safety shoes, books, appropriate uniforms, proof of negative TB test, and compliance with culinary personal hygiene code requirements. Both the Culinary Arts and Baking Associate in Applied Science specialty degrees are fully accredited by the ACFEFAC (American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission). Minimum placement test levels of English 22 and Mathematics 50H are required for all incoming Culinary Arts students. It is strongly recommended that prospective students meet with Culinary Arts advisors before entry into Culinary Arts courses.
For information regarding appropriate purchase of program approved standard uniforms, shoes, and knife sets, contact the culinary arts counselor. Culinary majors are assessed $180 per term (prorated for part-time). Those with prior-term GPA of 3.0 or higher may apply for a scholarship by contacting email@example.com for information.
Contact the program curriculum coordinator, Teresa Shurilla, at 984-3683 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Upon successful completion of the CULN Program, the student should be able to:
- Apply principles and concepts of quality food purchasing, food and baking preparation, service, and proper use of tools and equipment to produce and serve a variety of professional food items.
- Apply the basic principles of culinary service, organization, sanitation and safety in a foodservice operation to maintain the optimum health of the consumer.
- Demonstrate skills in various areas of the culinary hierarchy: human relations, leadership and personnel management, ethical decision making.
- Discuss the standards of restaurant regulations involving liquor protocol and health and safety regulations.
- Practice standards in behavior, grooming and dress appropriate to culinary industry professionals.