<< BACK

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

Friday, August 1, 2003

Ka Lama 102, 8:30 a.m.

 

 

PRESENT: Kate Acks, Pat Adams, Kathryn Fletcher, Robyn Klein, Bev Lashley, Diane Meyer, Karen Muraoka, Wallette Pellegrino, Paula Purdy for Paul Levinson, Suzette Robinson, Clyde Sakamoto, Frances Segundo, Lisa Sepa for Marge Kelm, Alvin Tagomori, David Tamanaha, flo wiger

 

EXCUSED: Eric Arquero, Vaughn Baker, Jeannie Pezzoli, Marvin Tengan

 

 

 

Akaku Presentation:

Kate Sample and Mike Albert are working on presentations for the August 12, 2003 DCCA public hearing. The hearing is being held in Ka`a`ike 105 at 4:30 p.m. 6:30 p.m. David Lassner will be coming to campus this coming week to work on a systematic slide show presentation. flo will announce when the presentation is available for campus viewing. Faculty and students may want to testify as well.

 

Status of Vacancies:

Director of the National Center for High Performance Computing

Clyde and flo will be involved in the hiring process. flo has been communicating with Bob Borchers, Principal Investigator, NSF staff, and Clyde on whether we should proceed with the pool of candidates that we currently have or wait until Bob is back on Maui on August 17th. They are looking at options; there may be some internal possibilities. Bob Converse will be leaving for Washington, D.C. on August 14th. His official last day is August 31.

 

Director of Institutional Advancement

The selection committee will be meeting all day on August 8. They will be interviewing five candidates. Lisa Sepa, chair of the selection committee, will work with Robyn Klein to assure that EEO procedures were followed. Donna Vuchinich, Vice President for the UH Foundation, will be participating in the interview process.

 

Other Appointments

Instruction is holding off on hiring a full time Physics instructor. They will be hiring a lecturer to teach Physical Science.

 

There are several federal positions on Molokai that need to be filled (Kim Helm and Katina Soares positions, Napua Noeau position)

 

Coffee Catch-up:

The committee agreed to have scheduled Executive Committee meetings on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, at 8:30 a.m. The committee also agreed to have informal 30-minute coffee catch-up sessions on alternate Fridays at 8:30 am. in Pa`ina. Coffee and pastries will be provided by Clyde. Colleen will distribute schedule of meetings to committee members and add scheduled meetings to the master calendar.

 

ECET:

The ECET program was approved on a permanent basis at the last Board of Regents meeting.

 

Reports:

Suzette Robinson, Assistant Vice-Chancellor

The mid-term Accreditation report is coming along nicely thanks to Pat Adams and Wallette Pellegrino. It should be ready by October with no problem.

 

Assessment piece of program is continuing very well. Plan to bring in the Liberal Arts component this Fall.

 

Institutional assessment is also coming along. Dan Kruse is working on operationalizing strategic plan. Each of the administrators has been identified as a responsible person. Contact team leaders have been identified for all objectives. Will next be looking at identifying team members from the campus.

 

Kathryn Fletcher is the new Foundations chair replacing Debbie Nakama.

 

Unit chairs are trying to get a handle on the excess amount of money being spent on photocopying. They will be implementing a strategy to help keep photocopying cost under control.

We are still undergoing budget challenges. We are looking at cutting classes where numbers do not support continuing classes; however, we dont want to cut classes where students may not have options.

 

Alvin Tagomori, Dean of Student Services

Current enrollment is about where it was at this time last year. 77 students are showing up with 0 credit. These may be students who are taking Basic English or Math or students who are wait listed.

 

Schedules of students who have not paid their tuition and are not waiting for financial aid, have not done a financial plan, or are not waiting for a third party to cover their tuition will be purged on Monday, August 4. Letters will be sent to these students to give them an opportunity to re-register. As time permits, student services staff will be looking at adding students who are on wait lists.

 

Alvin distributed the new registration schedule forwarded by David McClain, Vice President for Academic Affairs. He noted that a late registration fee of $30 has been instituted. He also noted the change in dates and percentages for refunds. Last day for full refund is August 29. Last day for a 50% refund is September 14. All community colleges agreed to these changes. The new schedule has been posted around campus. It was suggested that they also be posted in restrooms. Alvin will clarify to see if the new schedule applies to all University campuses. He will also check to be sure that the schedule in on the web.

 

We have received the Civil Rights findings from Darlene Dockman. Alvin will be convening a group of people to address a corrective plan. We have 90 days to come up with our corrective action plan. Each campus needs to update its own campus language. In some areas we have been cited on the number of complaints in the Western Region and not necessarily complaints at MCC. We were cited for not having enough pictures in our catalog and our website that show non-traditional and disabled students.

 

flo wiger, Vice Chancellor

Chief Academic Officers have met and 99% of articulation is done. Only a handful of courses have not been articulated.

 

Preparation for August 18 College Opening:

Jeannie will be working on the schedule for the opening week.

 

Agenda for Opening Day

8:30 Coffee, Pastries

9:00 Small blessing of Pa`ina for staff

9:30 Welcome and Program

Introductions of new faculty and staff

Honor Debbie Nakama

Recognize retirees (check with Debbi Brown for list of current retirees)

Recognize Promotion and Tenure Recipients

Honor Excellence in Teaching and Excellence in Service Recipients

Recognize Steve Williams for his Leadership with the Golf Tournament

10:15-10:20 Update on ABIT/Clyde Sakamoto

10:20 Campus Resources/David Tamanaha

10:25 Information broadcast (ask people if have any announcements)

10:30 Strategic Plan Activity

Done by 11:30 a.m.

 

ABIT:

Lily Owang, Adjunct Associate Director of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and leader of the accreditation oversight from the Sr. and Jr. commissions of Northern Marianas made the following recommendations on our ABIT proposal submitted to the Junior Commission. We need to:

 

Our initial submission as a draft will now be accepted as our formal submission. Lily also cautioned that the commission is looking at the larger sub change that the University of Hawai`i has submitted for the entire reorganization of the UHCCs. The commission should be hearing from the system clarifying some issues. Clyde will share the information with the committee as soon as we receive it.

 

Lily also explained that MBAs are understood to be terminal degree holders. We can now take advantage of that information to revisit qualifications appropriate for the two new faculty members we might be bringing on this year. We can also re-examine whether some our faculty who have terminal degrees are now able to teach in general ed curricula.

 

David Grooms has been requested to revise our presentation. Our submission will be submitted at the end of August.

 

Our request to transfer remaining funds to next year has been approved. This allows us to transfer $142,376 from the initial $500,000 into next year.

 

Legislative Visit:

A group of legislators and new regents will be on campus on August 13. A tentative agenda was distributed to the committee. The legislators are interested in seeing what has been done with money allocated to MCC over the last dozen years or so. Regents are interested in seeing what MCC is about. We need to look at how best to pair up faculty/administrators with different people. Drivers will be directed to Pa`ina. We will begin with a tour of the campus, have a presentation and question and answer session, and then lunch. Clyde is developing a script. A draft will be completed by August 8 for folks to review and refine it. Executive Committee members are invited to participate in the site visit. A comprehensive list of participants will be distributed to committee members.

 

Preparation for September 4-5 Board of Regents Meeting:

Colleen will forward draft agenda to committee members. We do not know who the new Regent is from Maui. The Board will be meeting from 11:00 a.m. Thursday and all day on Friday.

 

Reorganization of the UH Systemwide Administration Community College

HGEA has requested that the clerical staff give input on the reorganization of the University of Hawai`i Systemwide Administration for the Community Colleges. The reorganization requested that five positions be permanently assigned to Windward CC, Leeward CC, Kauai CC, and Kapiolani CC (2 positions). It also requests that two positions be permanently assigned from the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs-CC Academic Affairs unit to Honolulu CC.

 

Positions were relocated by preferences expressed by staff in these positions. Concern was expressed as to whether this was in the best interest of students. Distribution of positions and/or funding for the community colleges should be balanced among all ccs. Frances Segundo will be forwarding responses to HGEA.

 

Ho`olaulea

Marge Kelm, Lui Hokoana, Elena Alexander, Barry Shannon, and others are working on the Ho`olaulea. Fred Spanjaard, creator of major fundraisers, have offered to handle publicity, coordination, the musical program, and working with the different groups on campus for a fee of $4,000. The committee agreed to have Fred coordinate this event for $4,000 from the event budget.

 

Alternate Energy Proposal

Discussion deferred to next meeting.

 

Rural Development Project

The Rural Development Project has temporarily moved to the carpentry building. They will be relocating to the Multi -Purpose facility and the lower end of campus as soon as renovation is complete.

 

Budget

David distributed copies of budget details to committee members. Administrators are meeting Tuesday morning at 8:30 a.m. in Ka`a`ike 210 to discuss budget cuts.

 

<< BACK