Q: HOW DO I APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID?
A: Steps for Financial Aid
1. How to Apply
The FREE Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- The FAFSA application can be found online at www.fafsa.gov. In order to file the FAFSA, you’ll need your federal tax returns. If you haven’t yet filed for the current year, you may use the prior year tax returns. Once you file your taxes, you can go back online to make corrections.
- The FAFSA will require that you setup a PIN number, which you can get ahead of time at www.fafsa.gov. If you are a dependent student, your parent will also need a PIN.
- When you file your FAFSA, list UHMC as a college of interest and we will receive an electronic copy of your application. Our name is University of Hawaii Maui College and our school code is 001615
- Look for an email from the UHMC Financial Aid Office acknowledging receipt of your application.
The Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
- When you complete and submit the FAFSA, you will receive a preliminary EFC (Expected Family Contribution). Your EFC represents how much you and your family is expected to contribute to your education and will determine how much financial aid you may receive.
- You will also receive am estimated Award Offer of federal grants and loans. Please remember that this is only an estimate and you must complete the financial aid process with our office for final determination.
2. Processing Your Financial Aid
- You must be accepted for admission to the university before a financial aid award can be issued
- Checking your status for missing requirements
- Reviewing your Academic Status for financial aid
- Accepting your Award Offer
- Completing the Loan Process (if you accept any loans)
Financial Aid Disbursement Procedures
- The Financial Aid Office will disburse your funds after you’ve accepted/declined your awards and completed all necessary requirements. The Cashier’s Office will apply your financial aid towards your UHMC tuition and fees. Any residual financial aid monies will be mailed to you or directly deposited to your bank account if you sign up for E-Refund. Financial Aid funds will be disbursed no earlier than 10 days prior to the first day of classes. It takes approximately 5-10 days from disbursement for the refund to be processed and sent to you.
E-Refund (Direct Deposit)
- We highly encourage students to sign up for E-Refund to expedite the refund process. If you make any changes to your banking information after signing up for E-Refund, please make sure to change it in your profile. This will help you avoid delays in receiving your financial aid.
Disbursement of Scholarships From an Outside Donor
- If you are receiving a scholarship from an outside donor (e.g. Hawaii Community Foundation, local high school or community scholarship), and the scholarship check is made payable to UHMC, the check will be applied to your tuition and fees and any residual monies will be mailed to you or directly deposited to your bank account if you sign up for E-Refund. If the check is made co-payable to you and UHMC, you must endorse the check at the Cashier’s Office. The scholarship will be applied towards your tuition and fees and any residual funds will be mailed to you or directly deposited into your bank account if you sign up for E-Refund.