What’s Next – for Sarah McLane Bryan

WhatsNext

…for our GIS instructor, Sarah McLane Bryan? With her portion of the Rural Hawaii grant ending on June 30, 2016, Mrs. Bryan has several new projects up her sleeve.

logo

What will you be working on next?

“I’ve owned my own GIS and project management consulting firm – The Makali’i Group – since 2008 and so I’m looking forward to working on some new projects under that banner going forward. I’m also talking with several of my good friends who also do consulting, including Lauren Blickley at Swell Consulting and Jennifer Chirico at SustyPacific about partnering on some projects relating to sustainability in Maui.”

Any particular projects you would like to share with us?

“This summer I will be contracting with the Maui Conservation Alliance to coordinate events for the IUCN World Conservation Congress on Oahu and Maui, which will be the first time in history that this world-renowned Congress will take place in the U.S. The Congress starts September 1st in Honolulu, but the week prior we are offering a ton of field experiences, lecture series, workshops and other fun activities during the Indigenous Crop Biodiversity Festival here on Maui. I feel very honored to have been a part of this once-in-a-lifetime experience and to get to share with travelers from around the globe what makes Maui and our conservation lands so precious on this planet.

I’m also looking forward to working with conservation groups statewide to help improve their GIS capabilities and their workflows to increase efficiency. Many of these groups have a small staff, where you might wear multiple hats. Its great to help these groups find tools and innovative management practices that can make their projects more successful. They are all working so hard to protect our islands that it feels wonderful to help make their day a little easier.”

How can people stay in touch with you?

“I’ll be working from my email at mclane@makaliigroup.com and you can always reach me on my cell – see my website for that information. But also I’m working on an idea to keep up the networking we started with the GIS Showcases and to maintain the connection with the GIS Certificate program by hopefully maintaining a statewide GIS/Technology newsletter or blog. So if you have any news stories related to GIS or our technology industry, send them my way and I’d love to help you circulate it!”

By | 2016-10-27T20:48:35+00:00 April 14th, 2016|Uncategorized|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment