Faculty and Lecturer Handbook 2017-06-07T10:53:19+00:00

The University of Hawai’i Maui College (UHMC) serves the educational needs of residents of the three islands comprising Maui County: Molokai, Lana’i , and Maui.

There are several resources, policies and procedures that you will need to know and reference while working on Maui campus.  Here are key items for your quick reference and if you need further information, please contact your department chair.

Details regarding duty period, exam weeks and what to do when you are absent from campus can be referenced below.  If you need further information, have questions or comments, please contact your department chair.

Duty Period

 Faculty are on duty from approximately August 14 until May 14 (dates may vary slightly due to calendar changes).  Teachers’ primary responsibilities during that time include conducting assigned classes, attending campus meetings, and performing committee work.
One office hour per week must be held for each class taught.  The hour should be scheduled at a time when most students in the class are available, and the teacher should be consistently present during that time.  Each semester, faculty members must post current class schedules and office hours on their office doors during the first week of school and provide a copy to their department secretary.

Final Exam Week

The last week of each semester is final exam week.  The week begins with a reading day that allows students to prepare for the final assessment. Final exam schedules can be found at insert link   Finals are to be given on the days and times scheduled, not before. They may consist of written tests, projects, presentations, or other forms of student learning outcome assessment.     

Absence Due to Illness or Emergency

If you are unable to meet your class due to illness or emergency it is your  responsibility to inform students in as much advance as possible.  Your syllabus might include the following statement:  “Check your email often in case there is any unplanned cancellations of this class.”

You should notify the department secretary of any absences so that the secretary can post a notice of class cancellation on the classroom door.  The secretary also calls you phone and leaves a message reminding you that  upon return to work you need to complete an Online Leave Application  to be processed by your supervisor.

Lecturers do not have paid sick leave and do not have to fill out sick leave form but are expected to follow the rest of this procedure. If a day of work is missed a day’s pay may be docked.  Check with your department chair or secretary for clarification.  

Class Cancellation

In the case of an emergency, such as heavy rain, faculty should not cancel classes without first conferring with their department chairs, who in turn confer with the vice chancellor or other administrator.  Whenever possible, students must be notified in advance of any class cancellation.

Back to Top

Various references for instructional matters can be found below.  If you cannot find what you need here, please contact your department chair.

Academic Senate

By charter with the UH Board of Regents, the Academic Senate plays an active part in the college governance.  All faculty are welcome to participate in monthly Academic Senate meetings and serve on committees.  The Academic Senate meets regularly the second Friday of each month at 1:30 pm in Ka‘a‘ike 105.  Check e-mail for senate meeting notices, agendas, and minutes of meetings.   Senate committees include curriculum, procedures, hearing, student affairs, planning and budget, elections, writing intensive, and various ad hoc committees.  

Professional Ethics

Academic integrity is essential to the meaning and mission of the community college system.  Although no set rules or professional statements can either guarantee or take the place of a faculty member’s integrity, the community colleges believe that the adoption of the American Association of University Professors Statement on Professional Ethics clearly states the commitment of the community college faculty.

Syllabi and New Courses

Every course you teach at the college must have a syllabus that describes in detail the Student Learning Outcomes (SLO’s) for the class.  These SLO’s make it clear to your students exactly what it is that they will learn in each of your classes.  Hand in hand with student learning outcomes is assessment.  Your assessment practices should be designed to ensure that you as a teacher know that your students did, in fact, acquire the SLO’s for the class.  Course outlines containing the SLO’s for many of the classes you will teach are at Kuali Curriculum Management System. Hard copies of course outlines are located in the office of the vice chancellor of academic affairs, Pilina 201.

Also included on the course syllabus are grading criteria, attendance policy, attendance on late work and make-ups, field trips, assignments, assessment schedule, and disabilities statement. Syllabi should be available to students on the first day the class meets, or if an online class, at the beginning of the semester.  Some faculty ask students to read the class syllabus and sign an acknowledgment that they will abide by its terms and deadlines.  Department chairs or secretaries have sample syllabi for review.  Each time a syllabus is changed or updated, a copy should be given to the department chair.

As part of UHMC’s monitoring of student learning quality, your course may be selected for participation in college-wide or program-level assessment activities which may require you to provide information about your course, including 1) samples of student work that demonstrate achievement of learning outcomes, 2) brief written descriptions of course activities that develop learning outcomes, and 3) brief written descriptions of your assessment of student work in relation to learning outcomes.

Performance Evaluation

All campus faculty and staff participate in some form of evaluation, according to the duties and responsibilities outlined by their contracts with the UH Board of Regents.  Staff members are evaluated by their department heads.  Faculty and lecturers are evaluated through their respective departments and follow a system of evaluation as prescribed by the UH Board of Regents and the UH Professional Assembly (UHPA).  Faculty normally participate in four levels of evaluation: self, student, peer, and administrative.  Student evaluations are strongly recommended as a tool to improve instruction.  They are also required for tenure, promotion, contract renewals, and staff development purposes.

Questions concerning evaluation should be discussed in detail with your department chair.  Throughout the year, informational and procedural workshops will be held concerning all levels and types of evaluation.  Many faculty and lecturers use  eCAFE , the official application for Course And Faculty Evaluations at the University of Hawaii.  eCAFE  is a UH system wide tool for faculty across all campuses to gather feedback from the students at the end of a course.service known as eCafe. Your department secretary will have directions on how to use this tool.   

Faculty and Staff Development Fund and Professional Development

Funding for staff development activities, including travel to workshops, seminars, and conferences, is managed by the staff development committee.  Each unit of the college has a representative on this committee.  Staff development travel, with or without college funds, requires prior approval.

Submitting Grades (BANNER)

UH uses Banner to maintain student records, facilitate scheduling and registration for classes, secure class rosters, and enter grades. All class information is maintained using the UH system’s Banner database.  Each faculty member is responsible for accessing Banner to get his or her initial class roster, review the roster for active students, and submit semester grades.  Banner can be accessed from MyUH ; your UH username and password are required for access.  For assistance, contact your department chair.  Training is held for new faculty and lecturers at the beginning of each semester.


MySuccess is a student tracking and support system that is used by all UHCC campuses to provide a comprehensive network built for student success. MySuccess is located within MyUH Portal and Laulima and can be accessed by clicking on the UHCC MySuccess tab at the top of the page. MySuccess Early Alert is a component of the MySuccess support system, designed to notify you of your academic progress.

Classroom Management

As the teacher, you have control of your classroom.  If emergencies arise and you need assistance, depending on the situation, please follow the procedures at Campus Security. Food and drink should not be brought into the classrooms; the cumulative effect leads to sanitation problems. We are fortunate to have a very conscientious custodial staff; your full cooperation in maintaining a neat learning environment will be greatly appreciated.

Office of Continuing Education & Training (OCET)

OCET,  through EdVenture,  offers continuing education, career training and professional development courses in a wide range of topics including Food Innovation, Computers and Technology, Business, Languages, Hawaiian Culture, Art, College for Kids, Agriculture and Energy through the Sustainable Living Institute of Maui. No matter where you are in life, EdVenture is your source for lifelong learning on Maui.

University of Hawaii Center, Maui

The UH Center, which is located on the 2nd floor of the Laulima building, works in partnership with UH Mānoa, UH Hilo, and UH West O’ahu to offer online and distance learning degrees on Maui, Molokai, and Lanai. The Center provides local support services for the delivery of programs and facilitates communication among campuses.

Back to Top

Student Support services are widespread throughout the campus.  A list of services is below and if you require further information, please contact your department chair.

Campus technology is ever evolving.  Here are references for you to find information regarding technology on campus.  If you cannot find what you need, please contact your department chair.