The mission of University of Hawaii Maui College’s (UHMC) Hospitality & Tourism (HOST) program is to provide a diverse community of lifelong learners the educational opportunities that focus on student engagement and skills essential for successful employment in leadership positions in the hospitality industry.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students in the HOST Program are prepared to assume leadership positions in the hospitality industry. Throughout their educational journey at UHMC, our future industry leaders:
- Identify and demonstrate skills essential for successful employment in leadership positions in the hospitality industry through the values of Ho'okipa (hospitality), Laulima (teamwork), and Alaka`i (leadership); and
- Demonstrate the skills of a lifelong learner through the values of 'Ike loa (learning to learn) and Kuleana (civic responsibility)
Upon completion of the HOST program, students earn an Associate in Applied Science Degree (AAS). In addition, students will earn a Certificate of Competence (CC) and a Certificate of Achievement (CA).
The HOST program offers a combination of innovative classroom and internship experiences. The program is organized with a core of courses focusing on various aspects of the hotel industry, enveloped by a variety of business and general education courses designed to broaden the students’ background and enhance employability. Students are required to complete an internship and work 400 hours in a hospitality-related field. Internships provide invaluable practical on-the-job training in the hospitality industry.
Students have completed internships in the following sites:
- Four Seasons Resort Maui
- HMS Host
- Gilbert & Associates
- Island Partners Hawaii Inc.
- Grand Wailea
- Makena Beach & Golf Resort
- Marriott’s Maui Ocean Club
- Maui Hotel & Lodging Association
- Native Hawaiian Hospitality Association
- Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
- Westin Maui Resort & Spa
- Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
- DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai - Pudong
- Kahala Hotel & Resort
The HOST Program at UH Maui College is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA).