Student Support Services: Fall 2020, University of Hawaiʻi Maui College
Academic Support Starting Points
- Academic Advising – Get guidance and updates on classes, pathways, transfers, and career exploration.
- Kōkua Marketplace: This is your one-stop for learning services and student support services. This is a work in progress, keep checking this link for updates.
- STAR Balance: Schedule virtual appointments with your advisors, tutors, and librarians. New Service!
- Financial Aid: Ask about Federal financial aid, scholarships, emergency relief funding and other types of financial aid opportunities.
Learning Services & Resources
- Find a peer tutor: Tutors are students who successfully passed the course they tutor. They use their experience and training to help clarify content; review course material with you; and make suggestions for studying, keeping organized, and navigating Laulima. Tutoring is online via zoom and by appointment.
- Get academic coaching: Peer and staff coaches assist you with online learning, managing distractions, overcoming procrastination, managing stress, trying new ways of studying, and connecting you to other campus resources to support you during the semester. Coaching is online via zoom or phone and by appointment.
- Maui Online Learning: A free, facilitated introduction to online learning.
- Utilize strategy videos created by UHMC students for UHMC students on topics like communicating with your instructor, getting stuff done, staying motivated and more.
- Chat live with a librarian or book an appointment: Librarians provide research. assistance, professional support for academic success and integrity, and a wide variety of referral services including connecting you to campus and community resources. Even when the librarians are off-duty, you have access to online help via the library’s FAQ and Research Help pages.
Food & Other Essentials
- MEO Rental and Food assistance
- Maui Food Bank Distribution Sites
- Text “FOOD” to 808-877-877 to find the nearest keiki feeding sites
- Goodwill Hawaiʻi offers a variety of domestic and employment support and services
- Contact Ashley Tone, Maui Community Health Coordinator, for personalized assistance with SNAP and other community food and health benefits: (808) 201-3937 ext. 3
Places To Study On Campus
Due to infection control protocols, in-person study spaces are limited and some require a reservation. Students entering buildings on campus must adhere to the UHMC Required Health and Safety Protocols that include wearing face masks, practicing social distancing, regular hand washing hygiene, and self-screening temperature check and survey.
- Campus clubs, events, college engagement activities & volunteering. For more information, contact Al Paschoal at email@example.com. Visit your mobile device app store to download the UH Maui app to keep connected to campus!
Technology for Online Learning
Due to infection control protocols, in person and remote test proctoring availability is limited and appointments are required. To make an appointment, call (808)984-3240 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Students testing in person are required to wear a facemask at all times they are inside The Learning Center (TLC).