A UH Maui College publication.
Please select a page for the Contact Slideout in Theme Options > Header Options

The Beauty of Hand-Me-Downs

The Beauty of Hand-Me-Downs
October 19, 2015 Ho‘oulu Staff
In Community, Features

revive thrift shop (4)

By Julianna Scharnhorst

Besides not having enough caffeine in your bloodstream, the constant lack of money is an average college student’s biggest struggle. Having to worry about monthly payments for tuition and rent, as well as groceries, studying and a social life, stressing about buying new clothes is at the very bottom of a long list of priorities.

Thankfully, ReVive Resale Boutique, located in the heart of Kahului (behind Jack in the Box and Central Pacific Bank), offers brand name clothes, furniture and household items at competitively low prices. ReVive Boutique is a branch of the nonprofit organization, Women Helping Women, which provides help and resources to victims of domestic violence.

Walking up the steps of the quaint little store, I was warmly greeted by Kari, the store manager, and Kimo, the merchandise manager-and a great sale rack. When first entering the store, I was quickly introduced to an abundance of organized racks filled with shirts and dresses and an entire section dedicated to denim shorts and jeans. There is also a section with shoes, books and purses neatly organized and ready to pick through.

On the opposite side of the store, Women Helping Women’s mission statement is proudly displayed in chalk with little pink flowers around it, a reminder of what the store is helping to support.

I asked Kari what her favorite thing is about working at ReVive Boutique. Barely hesitating, she said, “The people. I love our clients and customers and being able to help them.” She then explained how the store provides work experience for women who are staying at the shelter so they can train for a steady job in the near future. “Our whole store is entirely volunteer operated,” she said.

The only challenge for ReVive Boutique? The location. “We really rely on word of mouth because there isn’t a lot of foot traffic,” Kari said. I asked her what she’d like me to announce to my fellow UHMC students.

“We have a lot of fashion forward clothing totally affordable for college students,” she said.

Kari is right. Being an avid “thrifter” myself, I have to say the prices are not bad and I wish I had found this place sooner.

ReVive Resale Boutique is located at the Old Kahului Shopping Center and is open Monday through Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Donations can brought during hours of operation. ReVive Boutique now offers 20 percent off for UHMC students with a valid student ID every Friday. If you would like to volunteer or get more involved with Women Helping Women, call (808) 495-0067.

Comments (0)