A UH Maui College publication.
Please select a page for the Contact Slideout in Theme Options > Header Options

Genki Sushi: That’s How They Roll

Genki Sushi: That’s How They Roll
December 9, 2015 Ho‘oulu Staff

By Saxon Knight

Anyone who’s been to Genki Sushi couldn’t have missed their unique and innovative delivery system. At any point, one may take from the rotating selection of prepared dishes. This quaint method of delivery conveys a sense of never-ending supply, and it’s something I would’ve certainly taken further advantage of if I weren’t on a student’s budget.

Genki's signature delivery method by conveyor.

Genki’s signature delivery method by conveyor.

As a sushi lover, the opportunity to review Genki Sushi in Maui Mall was one I took with great joy — enough to share, in fact, so I brought along some friends. We arrived at Maui Mall around 8:30 p.m. and easily found our way to Genki Sushi located in the mall across the theater. Though they were closing soon at 9 p.m., we were greeted with a genuine welcome and experienced a small wait-time of five or 10 minutes.

We were given the option to sit at a counter or booth, both of which were adjacent to the conveyor belt and provide easy access to food. We decided to choose the booth, as the counter seemed rather small and there were no backrests.

We were seated amidst colorful menus listing items, which must be ordered explicitly, as well as those available via the conveyor. As much as the style of the restaurant would suggest, there is no buffet option. Instead, the pricing is per-item and indicated by the color of the plate.

Green tea was available for free and included free refills. As the alternatives were common, everyday sodas, we opted for the tea. The extremely hot tea came in small brown cups, and was very palatable. Though the cups were small, the tea was strong, and the first cup lasted most of the meal. When we neared the end, a waiter offered to refill them just in time.

Left: Spicy California Roll. Right: Cream Cheese Salmon Roll. Top: California-Roll Bottom: Dragon Roll.

Our first order consisted of the Spicy California Roll, Salmon Cream Cheese Roll, and the Dragon Roll. The Spicy California Roll came in four pieces. At first, it didn’t seem to have any spiciness at all. In a few seconds, however, a fire had been ignited on my tongue, and it was at this time I first tasted the green tea, which had finally cooled enough.

After the Spicy California Roll, my attention turned to the Salmon Cream Cheese Roll, which is one of my favorites anywhere. It was different than I’m used to because it had the nice touch of a slice of salmon on top. My only complaint is that there was not enough cream cheese. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit dry overall. Ah, more tea.

Then came the Dragon Roll, which I will be having again as soon as fortune favors me. The Dragon Roll was sweet and mildly savory with a good amount of rice that didn’t take too much away from the flavor. Our second order consisted of the Tuna Bomb, California Tempura Roll, the Stuffed Mushrooms and the Volcano Roll.

The hot Stuffed Mushrooms were surprisingly good, but the Tuna Bomb was more like something you’d make at home than go out to eat. My favorite, however, was a tie between the California Tempura Roll and the Volcano Roll. The California Tempura Roll was a fried California roll that was as good as it sounds and the Volcano Roll was shaped as the name suggests. Although I couldn’t make out what was on it, I’d definitely have it again. I really can’t pick between the two, so I recommend both.

When it came time for dessert, we decided on the Ice Cream Mochi, which came as two golf-ball-sized portions per plate. We ordered chocolate and vanilla, as they had run out of strawberry. The outer texture was smooth and dry, the mochi was soft and sweet and the ice cream was creamy and very cold. It was almost the perfect end to the meal, but that honor goes to the wasabi.

I was simply blown away when I sampled Genki Sushi’s wasabi. I don’t know where they get it from or if it’s made in house, but it was some of the strongest I’d ever had. It was moister than I’m used to and the color was strikingly vibrant. It certainly packed a punch.

The atmosphere seemed like it was the aftermath of a busy day and the waitstaff seemed ready to finish cleaning, though there was certainly no detectable hostility towards us customers (plus one for hospitality).

Overall, I give Genki Sushi 3.5 out of 5 stars. It wasn’t a super fancy, high-dollar venue, but the food was great and the service matched. It’s definitely a great choice for a casual dinner with friends and maybe something to work into the weekly budget for a sushi lover.

.jpg

Comment (1)

1. Jacob 8 years ago

Quick, easy and relatively cheap sushi, it’s why I go there all the time.