A UH Maui College publication.
Please select a page for the Contact Slideout in Theme Options > Header Options

InterVarsity Christian Fellowship Club: A Source Of Strength And Community For All Students.

December 3, 2020 Britney Bautista

Joining student clubs during college builds a sense of community, belonging, and pilina together. UHMC has over 28 student-led clubs that this series will highlight so students can discover them and get inspired to join in! This particular article explores Intervarsity Christian Fellowship Club. Read on for the experiences and thoughts of Intervarsity members and staff.

“Transformed by God’s aloha, together we bless the campus, the islands, and the nations.”

InterVarsity has been on campus for 3 years and groups have been small but during the pandemic they’ve grown more than ever before. Kamalani, an InterVarsity staff member, helps students at UHMC host weekly ʻOhana Groups which due to the pandemic, now take place online. These groups consist of Bible Study, talking story and getting to know one another, fellowship, and pule (prayer). Kamalani was inspired by her own experience as an intervarsity member when she attended college in California.

Photograph Provided By Britney Bautista

“As InterVarsity of Maui, I have needed to challenge myself to be makaʻala (aware, attentive) to see the ways God has been moving and working in the students growth and faith in Ke Akua. I have learned humility, to always take a humble, servant posture as I lead students.  Gentleness and patience when things don’t go my way.  I’ve found personal growth, both in myself and our students.  Our goal of ministry is to facilitate spiritual growth, which transforms personal growth in all areas of our lives.”  InterVarsity welcomes and invites any students into the group to explore Ke Akua, and go deeper in faith in Him.  They share their vision and make space for all students, no matter their religious background.  Kamalani shares a quote she turns to that encourages students to get to know God.

“In bold are the parts I especially want to highlight and encourage folks to know about who God is. Isaiah 43.”

Isaiah 43

“But now, this is what the Lord says—
    he who created you, Jacob,
    he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
    Cush[a] and Seba in your stead.
4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
    and because I love you,
I will give people in exchange for you,
    nations in exchange for your life.
5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you;”

Photograph Provided By Britney Bautista

Yasha joined interVarsity through a friend who invited her to a group meeting.  She feels the club has opened her eyes to the importance of embracing culture.  She leads the media ministry for her church ministry off campus as well, mentors youth groups,  and is in charge of games and snacks for Bible studies.

“I learned a lot about love for culture.  I also learned about peace. In the ministry, we do a lot of Bible studies and they have been a source of encouragement for me, throughout the stresses of college.  I learned about Jesus and how we should live our lives in reflection of Him. Since it is a Christian ministry, we strive to be image-bearers of God, showing love, compassion, and kindness to those around us. I would say that yes, I have seen personal growth  in myself ever since I joined the club. Because of this amazing community, I have been more motivated to grow deeper in my Christian faith as I am surrounded by like-minded, positive, and highly encouraging individuals who truly care for one another.”  She shares a verse that has been her anchor throughout 2020, Philippians 4:8-9.

Philippians 4:8-9

“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”

“It is a constant reminder that, even throughout the craziness; even when nothing seems to be going right; even when I am in trouble or not at peace, I can simply look up and think about Jesus.  It gives me peace, comfort, and the mindset that everything will be okay. We are more than  a club, we are one family united by Christ.  One of the most memorable moments was our Virtual Retreat.  A whole day of peace, reflection, listening to stories, worship, and even a spicy ramen challenge!”

Photograph Provided By Britney Bautista

Carly is a club member who has gained strength through InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.  She’s evolved in areas of commitment, respect, and responsibility.  She shared that the group is something she’s really come to rely on.  

“My commitment to the Lord and my faith has taught me respect and this group has broadened my idea of that concept. I look at people in a more loving light and see that the respect I give is not just people who have earned it, but rather anyone who comes across my path. I take my responsibility to this group seriously and have grown in other areas of my life.  I have seen tremendous personal growth over the years as I have grown in my faith in Jesus. My whole life has changed from this group. My sense of community has grown and with friends that I have come to trust.  I feel my whole world has broadened under the care and love of Jesus.  I’m now a better friend, sister, and granddaughter.  Her favorite scripture is John:15:5.

John:15:5

“I am the vine, and you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will bear much fruit; for you can do nothing without me.”

InterVarsity fills students with wisdom, hope and faith. As members we learn that our savior, our creator, our God is always there when we need it. Bible studies can help a person who is still learning about faith, and being part of a christian fellowship group gives a sense of belonging, especially during the pandemic. This club helps with social interaction by having something positive to look forward to. Those who are looking towards God can learn to pray and communicate with others who are in the same situation as you. Overall, the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship club has impacted many students and shown them that they are worthy and deserving of a prosperous life.

Photograph Provided By Britney Bautista

Comments (0)