University of Hawai’i Maui College (UHMC) has established a Maui Educational Consortium with local Maui County K-12 schools and community agencies. This Consortium promotes collaboration and partnerships that honor and build community capability to improve student learning and achievement, and work to connect students to a wealth of MCC learning resources.
The Maui Educational Consortium uses the slogan—Students Connecting—as a banner to mobilize a county-wide community that focuses on the learner.
Students Connecting engages learners by actively involving them in their . . .
- acquisition of knowledge
- application within context
- integration for understanding
- association for problem solving
Students Connecting explores teaching and learning, the ways people learn best. It promotes contextual learning or learning that thrives when close relationships with actual experience allow learners to make their own connections . . .
- between information and experience,
- between school and the world,
- between one subject-matter discipline and another, and
- between their past knowledge and present challenges, their present challenges and future responsibilities.
Students Connecting sparks a spirit of discovery in our learners by joining the skillful hand to the educated mind.