On Friday April 17th, 2015, Kupa’a 104 was transformed into an art gallery with the addition of new acrylic paintings from the Maui Open Studio 2015 event. As UHMC’s main music classroom, Kupa’a 104 serves the dual purpose of piano lab and class instruction. It’s a space where pianists spend most of their time practising and for that reason, anything to inspire them to play and stay is worthwhile.
Love to sing, play an instrument, slam poetry, do magic tricks, stand-up comedy, karaoke, act, dance – hula? Come perform (or just watch) at The Music Club of University of Hawaii – Maui College Thursday April 23, 5 – 8 pm, Student Lounge during the April Music Week Celebration being held on campus. UHMC students, staff and faculty invited along with the whole community of Maui. All talents, all ages. Free admission and free food. This is a family event and all kinds of talent found in Maui.
Saturday April 18 to April 25, 2015
Once again, we invite you to UH Maui College to celebrate a week of music around Earth Day. All events and classes are free and open to the public. Please revisit for updated links.
FREE CLASSES AND EVENTS IN UHMC Kupa’a 104, Ka’a’ike 111, Ka Lama 103, and the Learning Center
Art exhibit in Kupa’a 104 from Maui Open Studios Feb 22, 2015 art and music improvisation event.
Monday April 20th Kupa’a 104
- 9 a.m. Piano Workshop – Anne Ku
- 10:30 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. Piano, Beginning Voice and Intermediate Voice classes – Guest artists: Jimi Canha and Gilbert Emata
- 6 p.m. Music in World Cultures
Tuesday April 21st Kupa’a 104
- 9 a.m. WI-MUS106 Lecture: Romantic opera and music drama
- 10:30 a.m. History of Rock-n-Roll – What’s With Music Today?
- Noon: Music in World Cultures
- 1:30 p.m. Music in World Cultures: Art songs of Latin America – guest Anne Shapiro
- 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. Art and Business of Music: panel discussion on evolving business models in the music industry and short presentations of combined artistic visions and business plans under development by students in the class
Wednesday April 22nd EARTH DAY** Kupa’a 104
- 9 a.m. Earth Day Jam (piano, ukulele, other instruments)
- 10:30 a.m. Piano Recital
- Noon Beginning Voice Class
- 1:30 p.m. Intermediate Voice Class
- 3 p.m. Piano Masterclass at The Learning Center (TLC) (note location)
- 6 p.m.Earth Day Jam
Thursday April 23rd Kupa’a 104 (Film premiere in Ka Lama 103)
Once a week, we meet in Kupa’a 104 for two hours of sight-reading, improvising, and discussing what and where we’re going to perform next.
Read about the first performance on February 22nd in Heona Building on the last day of 2015 Maui Open Studios.
Are you curious what it’s like to play the piano?
To play the piano with other pianists?
To learn how to play a new tune?
To get coaching on a piece you’ve been working on?
To see what a piano class is all about? […]