Welcome to UH Maui College Allied Health and Nursing
Nursing Program Information
Career in Health Care?
University of Hawaii Maui College –A National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, Inc. (NLNAC, 61 Broadway-33 rd Floor, New York, NY 10006, Phone 800-669-1656, ext. 153) accredited Career Ladder PN/ADN Nursing Program with strong acute care and community based clinical focus. Clinical sites located on Maui and Oahu. Facilities include multimedia classrooms, Nursing Learning Skills Resource Center, simulation laboratory, computer and TV origination classrooms.
The UHMC Nursing Career Ladder Program provides preparation at three levels of competency: Nurse Aide, Practical Nurse, and Registered Nurse.
NLN accredited Bachelor of Science (BSN) and Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Programs are available through the University Center-UHMC from UH Manoa and University of Hawaii, Hilo.
Nursing Program Application Process
Career Ladder Nursing Program Admission Criteria
- Be a resident (by the semester of intended enrollment in Nursing Program) of the State of Hawaii as determined by the Maui College REGISTRAR for tuition purposes.
- Official transcript sent and Transcript Evaluation Form completed.
- Application to the Career Ladder Nursing Program is competitive. Admission application deadline is January 31 for fall semester admission and July 15 for spring semester. Complete the Nursing Program application and return letter of intent to be admitted to the nursing program to be considered for admission.
- Effective Fall 2014, for admission to the Nursing Program the ATI-Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) will be required. Attend the Nursing Orientation session for more information.
- The following courses are pre-requisite (C or better) for admission: English 100, Zoology 141, Zoology 142, and Microbiology 130. Students may be granted provisional admission if they are enrolled in the pre-requisite course(s) by the admission deadline.
- Effective with courses taken in the Fall 2012 semester, courses may be repeated once to raise a grade. Of the two times that the course has been taken, the higher grade will be utilized. Only grades in the first two attempts will be considered.
- The science courses (i.e., Zoology 141 and 142 (4 credits-lecture and lab) and Microbiology 130(3 credit lecture) have a ten-year time limit, which must be completed within the last ten years prior to the application deadline. (Note: students do not have to repeat the lab course, i.e. Zool 141 and 142 may be repeated in the UH system online as 3 credit lecture classes only)
Points for admission are awarded as follows:
Letter Grades: A=4; B=3; C=2 (except for ZOOL 141, 142 & MICRO 130 a C=1)
- Zoology 141 Anatomy & Physiology, 4 credits
- Zoology 142 Anatomy & Physiology, 4 credits
- Psych 100 Survey of Psychology, 3 credits
- Famr 230 Human Development
- Psych 240 Developmental Psychology, 3 credits
- Micro 130 General Microbiology 3 credits
- English 100 Expository Writing, 3 credits
- Humanities Elective (100 or above), 3 credits
- Health or Nursing experience (Nurse aide experience 2 points; others 1 point)
- TEAS test of Essential Academic Skills (Up to 5 points)
- Microbiology 140 (2 cr) (1 point)
NURSING GROUP COUNSELING 2014
It is advisable that you attend at least one nursing counseling session each year and meet with the academic advisor yearly in order to update your application and learn of any new or changing requirements.
4:00 pm for 1st time applicants
Required to take English & Math Compass Test before hand at The Learning Center;
Bring scores to the orientation.
Call 984-3250 to reserve your spot.
Location: Kupa’a 103
- Celeste Baldwin, PhD, APRN, CNS
- Maggie Bruck, MA-Academic Counselor
- Doris Casey, RN, MSN
- Denise Cohen, RN, MSN, APRN-BC, Allied Health Department Co-chair
- Gayle Early, MSN, APRN-BC, PhD
- Noreen Erony, MA, NSW
- Mary Farmer, RN, MSN
- Kathleen Hagan, MSN, APRN-BC
- Nancy Johnson, MSN, APRN
- Kathleen Mumford, RN, BSN, MBA
- Rosemary Perreira, RN, MSN, ADN Program Level Coordinator
- Carol Petith-Zbiciak, RN, MSN, APRN-BC
- Julie Potter-Dunlop, RN, MN, PN Program Level Coordinator
- Feliciana Sales, RN, MSN
- Anne Scharnhorst, RN, MSN, Allied Health Department Co-chair
- Anne Trygstad, RN, BSN
- Margaret Ward, RN, MS
- Constance Williams, RN, BSN