The information on this page is not a substitute for academic advising.
You’ll find this site helpful if you’re:
- Feeling academically overwhelmed
- Having trouble balancing school with other responsibilities
- Concerned about transferring to another institution
- Counting on your education to lead to better job opportunities
- Wondering how many credits you should be taking
Why is this information important?
- If I’m only taking classes for interest
- If I don’t know if I want to earn an AA
- If I just want to get my “Gen Ed”, “core”, or “liberals” done and transfer to a university
I’m making satisfactory progress but feel overwhelmed. I don’t have time to see a counselor right now, but will later on.
How Many Credits Should I Take?
Each course credit is equal to one hour per week in class, and that each course credit requires a minimum of 2 hours outside study?
This means that a 3 credit course will take up at least 3 hours of your time per week. A full-time college student with 12 credits can expect to put in at least 36 hours per week to attend classes, do homework and study. Being a full-time student is a full-time job!