About The Learning Center
at the University of Hawaii Maui College
Welcome to the UHMC Learning Center orientation.
The TLC hours of operation are Monday through Thursday from 9AM to 7PM, and Friday and Saturday from 11AM to 5PM.
We provide one-on-one or small group tutoring for a variety of courses including Math, Sciences, Languages, Sociology, and Accounting. We also can help you with your writing assignments.
The TLC also provides online tutoring, which can be accessed through your UH portal. Online tutoring is an excellent resource for when you can’t get to a face-to-face tutoring session.
The TLC can also help you with Laulima, MySuccess, basic computer questions, Brainfuse, class websites, your UH portal, and study skills support.
On the TLC website, you can access study skill handouts, information on distance learning, and links to other useful websites.
You can also find learning strategy online workshops, including time management, effective note-taking, and test preparation to help you develop more effective strategies for studying, reading, writing, and test-taking.
We also provide access to free, self-paced online courses to help you improve your reading, writing, grammar, math, and study skills. Contact Kristine Korey-Smith at email@example.com to sign-up.
The TLC is also a great place to study before, after, or in between classes. We also have a student computer lab with both MAC’s and PC’s, so you can complete your course assignments.
The TLC also provides testing services for the campus and for the community. Testing is open Monday through Thursday from 9AM to 7PM, and on Friday’s from 11AM to 5PM.
Remember, the Learning Center can help you reach your academic goals. Have a great semester.
Mission and Vision of The Learning Center:
The Learning Center at UH Maui College provides students at all levels with academic support services to help them become successful, independent learners and reach their educational goals. To attain our mission, tutorial assistance; one-on-one, group, and online writing assistance; study skills instruction; testing services; computer laboratories; e-mail and Internet access; and computer-assisted instructional programs are provided to our diverse student population.
We envision a one-stop facility where students will receive cutting edge, high quality support services in a student-centered environment, helping students gain the skills needed to meet the rigors of their educational program and to embrace the challenges of an ever-changing world.
The Learning Center contributes to the mission and vision of UH Maui College by providing high quality academic support services in a stimulating environment for our diverse student population.
Goals of The Learning Center:
- To help students enhance their skills in reading, writing, math, and study skills
- To provide tutorial services in content area courses
- To help students become independent learners
- To provide students with computer equipment and software needed to complete their coursework and broaden their learning experience
- To assist students with basic computer skills
- To provide placement, make-up, and distance learning testing services as well as community proctoring services
- To support faculty in meeting student learning outcomes
- To provide a user-friendly study environment conducive to learning and thinking
- To anticipate the academic support needs of our students
- To encourage professional development