Western Undergraduate Exchange Program

/Western Undergraduate Exchange Program
Western Undergraduate Exchange Program 2018-03-01T13:49:31+00:00

What is WUE?

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). Awards are available to entering freshmen and eligible transfer students. Priority consideration is provided if the eligibility requirements are met and you are admitted by February 1st. Students are encouraged to apply for admission to UHMC as early as possible.
Download the WUE application here.

Award Value

Through WUE, students in western states may enroll at UH Maui College at a discounted tuition of 150 percent of the institution’s regular resident tuition. How much could you save with WUE?

Resident Tuition $3180
Non-resident Tuition $9120
WUE rate (Resident x 150%): $4770
WUE Savings

*Table is based on a 12-credit (full-time) enrollment status.

Programs Eligible for the WUE Rate

You must pursue one of the following programs eligible for the WUE rate:

Eligible States

You must be a resident of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, Washington State, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands. Your family’s domicile (home) must be maintained as your permanent address throughout the duration of your participation in the WUE program.

Academic Criteria

  • Freshmen applications must have a 3.0 cumulative grade-point-average over four years in high school.
  • Transfer applicants must have a 2.8 cumulative grade-point-average with a minimum 24 college transferable credits in order to qualify.
  • GPA will be calculated using all colleges previously attended.


  • Only undergraduate students and those who have not already earned a baccalaureate degree can qualify for WUE.
  • WUE is awarded only once at the time of admission and will remain in effect for the duration of the student’s academic career at UH Maui College.
    • Non-WUE students who enroll as non-residents will not qualify for WUE status in later terms. Awards may not be available to all students who meet the criteria.
  • Hawaii residency cannot be established under the WUE program. Students changing their residency will be reclassified to non-resident. Students are only able to apply for Hawaii residency 12 months after cessation of WUE. Further information on residency regulations available here.