Living Values Statement
We Believe in Providing the Best Opportunities on Maui
UHMC is fully committed to enhancing the lives of all in our community by being a trusted leader in:
Student Centered Learning
We care for our students and promise to guide every milestone toward success.
Innovative Positive Change
Empathic learning of the world around us helps pursue interconnectivity with compassion, we are committed to being seekers of truth and change.
Environmental and Economic Sustainability
“We care for our students and promise to guide every milestone toward success.”
We dedicate ourselves to Student Success by cultivating a campus that celebrates mutual respect, open dialogue, critical thinking and our shared responsibility to safeguard Maui Nui, its people and values.
Situated on one of the most beautiful islands in the world, the University of Hawaiʻi Maui College is an accredited college that offers three bachelor of applied science degrees, a wide variety of associate degrees and certificates, as well as distance learning degrees through its UH Center on campus. UHMC is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools & College.
With small class sizes, a low student to faculty ratio, math labs and career counseling, UHMC students enjoy personalized, individual attention and the support they need to be successful in school and their future careers.
The University of Hawai‘i Maui College inspires students to develop knowledge and skills in pursuit of academic, career, and personal goals in a supportive educational environment that emphasizes community engagement, life long learning, sustainable living, Native Hawaiian culture, and global understanding.
UH Maui College: We will prepare students to respond to emerging challenges in their lives, communities, and the world through compassion, leadership, problem-solving, and innovation.
Our Core Values
Affection, compassion, sympathy, kindness, grace; to show kindness, mercy, charity.
Goodness, morality, excellence, prosperity, duty; righteous, right, virtuous, correct.
Right, privilege, concern, responsibility, reason, cause, function, justification.
To take care of, tend, care for, preserve, protect, support, loyalty: care taker, keeper.
Unity, accord, unison, harmony; agreed, in unity.
Hope, confidence, expectation; to hope.
Maui Vocational School was established
The College is an outgrowth of the Maui Vocational School established in 1931. In 1958 the Department of Public Instruction authorized the name change to Maui Technical School, denoting an upgrade of vocational education to a technical level.
Institutional Learning Outcomes
To qualify for graduation, students demonstrate the following abilities at a level of rigor appropriate for their degree:
- Apply essential skills and knowledge of a technical or academic field to perform tasks, address challenges, and solve problems
- Address social, environmental, or economic issues through work that exemplifies effective interaction in real-world situations
- Apply creativity and analytical thinking to convey ideas, address challenges, and seek solutions to problems
- Find, evaluate, and share information effectively and responsibly
- Solve problems utilizing mathematical models, methods, and effective quantitative reasoning
- Write and speak effectively to convey ideas that meet the needs of specific audiences and purposes
- Integrate multiple perspectives and a broad context of understanding to interpret problems, issues, and artifacts