A UH Maui College publication.
Please select a page for the Contact Slideout in Theme Options > Header Options

Why Utilizing the Free Student Fitness Center is a Total No-Brainer

March 3, 2020 Aysha Jarnesky
Motivational Art at UH Maui Fit

University of Hawaii Maui College offers many motivational and resourceful student perks. One of these perks is the UH Maui Fit, the student fitness center located in the Pilina building.  The center is free for students, fully equipped and accessible Monday through Friday from 7am to 7pm.  Students can give their brain a break and thrive on a social level while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Common challenges for college students regarding extra-curricular activities are accessibility, time management and budgeting. UH Maui Fit alleviates those concerns by remaining cost-free for students and staying open for fifty hours per week so students can be sure to find time for fitness-centered self-care.

Upon entering the fitness center, you might encounter third-year international student Ariki Henu’a Riquelme Pate from Rapa Nui (Easter Island).  Ariki is pursuing a BA in SSM and is one of several students who man the fitness center sign in desk, where students are required to check in and out.

Student check-in desk.

“At the beginning I didn’t work out at all…but being able to workout at the school for free really helps me a lot for my classes.  I’m less stressed.  I can come to the gym and get rid of negativity,” Pate says.

Once signed in, students have access to a wide range of fitness possibilities.  Motivational hip music and splashy graffiti set the tone for an ideal experience.  Fitness options include the four main types of workouts such as aerobics, strength-training, flexibility and balance training.

“The girls usually come for cardio, or they stretch in the back and do ab and leg workouts.”  Ariki points at the cardio machines and then towards the balance and flexibility area at the back.   The cardio area consists of ellipticals, treadmills, stair-mills, and exercise bikes.  There are yoga mats, bosu and stability balls, stepping blocks, resistance bands and jump ropes in the balance and flexibility space.  One can even relieve stress by going rounds on the punching bag that hangs near the weights.

Ariki says that what he likes to do most at the center are lift weights, barbells and dumbbells.  He laughs and jokes, “Most of the boys, like 99.9 percent of them, come for the weights.”  His eyes scan the various equipment where students can build muscle and strength-train by pumping iron at the squat rack, blowing steam on a bench press or simply lifting some dumbbells.

Photo of weights
Photo By Aysha Jarnesky-Ramsey

Another male student supported Arikis’ statement by sharing with me that he too spends most of his fitness time using the weight equipment.

Student government president, Sam Peralta, is a four-year student with a passion for perpetuating Hawaiian language and culture.  “E ho’omau i ke ola kino maika’i- We should remain in good health” he proclaims.  He points to his arm, which is pretty muscular and says, “Check this out! I got this here!”  He enthusiastically expresses that the cost-free accessibility of a fully loaded campus gym enables him to have an optimal college experience.  “It optimizes your day.  It saves a solid two hours plus in my day because I can come to campus and get a workout before or after class.  I like that it’s right in the middle of campus and there’s a shower here.  Everything is right here.  There’s air conditioning and it’s nice.”

Student government president
Photo By Aysha Jarnesky-Ramsey

Physical and mental rejuvenation is great for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. An added bonus is the social interaction that students can take part in.  There’s no need to go at it alone, students can schedule times to work out together, or make new friends by connecting with fellow peers outside the classroom.

“For me when I first came, I didn’t have any friends, I didn’t know anybody.  Through the gym is where I met most of my friends that I have now.  So that is why I think it’s really important.”  Ariki adds, “You can make friends here, it’s a healthy place but it’s a friendly place where you can just come and talk to random people and then you have new friends!”

Entry doors at UH Maui Fit
Photo By Aysha Jarnesky-Ramsey

It’s clear that these students find a sense of balance by utilizing UH Maui Fit.  Whether it’s the clever optimization of a brilliant college day or the positivity in a stress-relieving social encounter that enhances the happiness-factor, utilizing UH Maui Fit is a total no-brainer.

Comments (2)

1. Comfort Finds 4 years ago

I’m impressed, I must say. you hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding.

2. Max Dias 4 years ago

Having a free fitness centre at a place where people from different walks of life come to study and invest their mental energy into studying various subjects, can feel like a blessing in disguise.

The post written is quite simplistic and yet gives out so much information about the free facility offered by the University. It can encourage other students as well, to spend little time here so as the get the “Chi” or balance of energy right and then get back with their daily study rituals. It also improves focus.
    Last but not the least, the portrait of Sam Peralta smiling says a thousand words.