A UH Maui College publication.
Please select a page for the Contact Slideout in Theme Options > Header Options

The City Of Petrinja Starts The Next Phase Of Recovery From The Earthquake

March 9, 2021 Ho'oulu Student News
In Editor's Pick

On Dec. 29, 2020., the city of Petrinja in the country of Croatia in Europe was hit by a major earthquake with a magnitude of 6.4, desolating the town with 7 confirmed dead. On Feb. 2, 2021, more than a month later, Petrinja, home to approximately 25,000 residents, is starting the next phase of recovery in the earthquake aftermath.

“Saturday will mark the start of the second phase of our activities,” announced Tomo Medved at the news conference on Feb. 2, 2021, head of the Civil Protection Headquarters, “and that is the removal of buildings that were damaged in the earthquake because they endanger people’s lives and health. We havegiven instructions to authorized companies for mobilization, and have statisticians and engineers ready for demolition.”

At the news conference, Medved pointed out that he believed that the “worst was behind us” and that the second phase of action would begin on Saturday.

Since the earthquake, significant progress has been made in the process of recovery. The Republic of Croatia acted swiftly in providing free electricity for the first three months of the next year for all of Petrinja residents, free passenger transport to the surrounding areas of the country, abolition and non-collection of tolls for those affected by the earthquake and other assistance measures.

The 23-year-old Ivana Gloc from Petrinja is one of the many survivors from the devastating earthquake in which almost 8000 people lost their homes. “I have been waiting for weeks for this feeling to become normal, but it is not happening. Every time the ground shakes, I jump. I sleep on the floor with lights on, fully dressed, no chance of going upstairs. I volunteer all day long, and I’m here among people and my company. This is where I feel safe. I don’t want to be left alone for a single moment, there is always someone by my side. Someone who can calm me down. They talk to me, and they comfort me. They tell me not to be afraid, but I can’t help myself – it’s stronger than me”, says Ivana.

The preliminary damage on transport, electricity and water infrastructure is currently estimated at $78.5million, and by Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021., Petrinja has received more than 45,745 claims of damage, while only 26,260 objects have been inspected according to the data collected by Večernji List. The renovation of that infrastructure is crucial for the return to normal life of the locals.

The biggest damage from the earthquake was suffered by the HEP electricity distribution network. In thereport by 24 Sata, HEP estimates the damage from the earthquake on Dec. 29, 2020, on their distribution network is around $30 million and that the earthquake destroyed or severely damaged 238 electric substations.

The catastrophic earthquake that was felt all the way from Italy to Montenegro also severely damaged the local Petrinja high school, one of the oldest educational institutions in the county. The school building is no longer usable and it received a red mark from the statisticians due to numerous damages to the entire building. 

Ministry of Science and Education of the Republic of Croatia acted quickly in response to the earthquake. Since the main school building in the center of Petrinja is currently unusable, it was decided that classes for 292 students will be held in online mode until a more permanent solution arrives.

The head of school Milan Orlić stated that several facts prevailed for this decision: “Children can no longer wait, and it is in our interest to socialize as soon as possible after this tragedy. The common goal of us pedagogues, and I believe of all Petrinja residents, is for as many residents as possible to stay in their city. We believe that the beginning of classes will also contribute to such a decision “, says Orlić. The recovery process was further exacerbated by the effects of the global pandemic on the area, and many COVID-19 patients are waiting to be transferred in the capital city hospitals.

A number of EU nations ranging from Austria, Bulgaria, Czechia, France, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania have committed to provide financial help to the Republic of Croatia, with negotiations with the European Union on the reallocation of financial resources underway. Right now, more than $15 million has been allocated to the County from the budget stock. However, much more will be needed to fully repair the damage.

According to the Faculty of Science (PMF) of the University of Zagreb, earthquakes in Croatia are fairly frequent. Per year, there are about 200 smaller earthquakes per year with the magnitude of 2-2.5 on the Richter scale, and in the case of a series of earthquakes there are even more.

In comparison, the Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology have stated that “the National Earthquake Information Center locates about 12,000-14,000 earthquakes each year” and that, on average, “magnitude 2 and smaller earthquakes occur several hundred times a day worldwide, while major earthquakes, greater than magnitude 7, happen more than once per month.”

Comments (0)