Student Support Statement
Academic Support Starting Points
- Kākoʻo Support Portal - This is your one-stop for academic support services including course tutoring, writing assistance, equipment rental & library services.
- STAR Balance - This is the link to schedule appointments with your advisors and tutors. Students can choose to meet online or in person when they schedule an appointment.
Technology for Online Learning
- UHMC Help Desk - Your go-to place for classroom technology and computer software and hardware troubleshooting needs.
- UHMC Libraryʻs Equipment Catalog - Need a laptop, WI-FI hotspot, computer video camera or other peripheral? Explore the Library’s Equipment Catalog to request what you need.
- The UH Online - Remote Learning web page - A great resource for classroom technology and communication strategies.
- Check out the UHMC Help Desk Wireless webpage for campus Wi-Fi areas and wireless passthrough details.
Peer Mentoring & Tutoring
- Make an appointment with a Kākoʻo Mentor. These students have taken the classes you are enrolled in now and are pursuing the same degrees as you. They can help you be successful with planning; organizing; technology; assignments; forming & running study groups; accessing resources; managing priorities; and getting involved in your program and campus.
- Make an appointment with a Kākoʻo Tutor. These students provide peer learning support in specific courses and subjects including writing, math, biology, and statistics.
- Chat live with a writing assistant or submit your writing question online - Get help with your writing. Writing assistance can help you get started or answer questions about your writing assignments regardless of class.
- Make an appointment with a Kākoʻo Writing Tutor
- Electronic Essay Drop Off Review - Submit your draft and a writing assistant will review and provide feedback within 48 hours.
- Citing Sources - Why it's important, what to cite, and how.
- Find print and online books, articles, videos and more on the Library website. Our Primo Quick Search is a great place to start your research hunt!
- Research Help - We’ve created digital guides aligned with specific UHMC courses, popular search topics, MLA & APA citation help, frequently asked questions and so much more. Check them out!
- Chat live with a librarian or submit your research question online - We’re standing by to assist you!
- Start Smart: UHMC College Success Guide - Self-Paced review of the three things you need to be successful in college: Mindset, Self-Management, & Academic skills.
- Access learning resources anytime - Self-paced, on-demand workshops covering a wide range of topics including study, writing and stress management resources.
- Fall workshop schedule - Attend a synchronous workshop via zoom.
Places To Study On Campus
Here are our recommended places for studying on campus. Contact the offices listed or visit their websites for more information on availability and hours of operation. Those looking to study outdoors may want to refer to the campus Wi-Fi map.
- Library - Lots of areas for individual and group study, computers, printing and scanning services, and did we mention A/C?! You can even reserve private group study rooms - book online or contact the Library directly.
- Pilina Student Lounge
- Open Hale
Due to infection control protocols, in person and remote test proctoring availability is limited and appointments are required. To make an appointment, call (808)984-3240 or email email@example.com. Students testing in person are required to wear a facemask at all times they are inside The Learning Center (TLC).