Health Clearance Information

Health Clearance Information

Contact the Admissions & Records Office


Call: 808-984-3267

Call Toll-Free: 800-479-6692

Fax: 808-984-3872

Mailing Address:

Admissions & Records, University of Hawaiʻi Maui College, 310 W. Kaʻahumanu Ave, Kahului, HI 96732

Walk-In Hours:

Hoʻokipa Building

Mon - Friday: 8:30am - 3:30pm

Closed on weekends and state holidays


Flora Mora


Georgette Tanaka – Admissions, VA, International

Tressy Aheong – Records, Transcripts

*SPECIAL NOTE: If you attended any UH Campus prior to July 2020, you are only required to have Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) and Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance. Please log on to your STAR account to see if you’ve met this requirement.
UH Health Clearance Form
Upload Health Records to MED+PROCTOR

Health Clearance Requirements

State of Hawaiʻi law mandates that certain health requirements be cleared before students can enter into postsecondary institutions (college or university). The following information is provided to assist students with fulfilling these requirements prior to beginning classes at the University of Hawaii.

What does Hawaiʻi State Law require for Post-Secondary School (college or university) attendance?
The Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules, Chapter 11-157, requires all students to meet immunization requirements before they attend any post-secondary school in the state.
What are the health requirements for college or university attendance in Hawaiʻi?
    • Immunizations 
      • Individual immunization records showing your name and administration dates from your healthcare provider, public health department, state immunization registry, childhood immunization records, or military immunization record.


      • If any of your individual immunization records are not clearly from a medical record, or are difficult to understand, you may bring all of your records and the UH Health Clearance Form to a medical practitioner (Medical Doctor, Orthopedic Doctor, Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, or Physician’s Assistant). The practitioner can  review your records, determine if you have met the requirements, and sign each area of clearance requirement on the form that you have met. This form can be used instead of any immunization record that has been rejected.

    • Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance

What tests and immunizations are required by the 1st day of school? 

(the basics)

If you are thinking: "Didn't I get all of these vaccines as a kid?" You are exactly right. They were also required for elementary school and high school registration (depending on where and when you attended). Hopefully this means you can find records somewhere! 

If not, it is perfectly safe to repeat the vaccinations.

  • TB (Tuberculosis) Clearance TB Clearance (a risk screening form signed by a medical practitioner) done within twelve months before the start of instruction OR done on or after the age of sixteen. Occasionally, a person may have increased risk and need TB testing.
  • MMR (Measles-Mumps-Rubella) Two doses of Measles vaccine are required. Students born before 1957 are exempt from this immunization requirement. In compliance with state law, we cannot accept a blood test as proof of immunity instead of documentation of  MMR vaccination.
  • Varicella (chickenpox) Two doses are required. Students born in the United States prior to 1980 are exempt from this immunization requirement. Documented diagnosis or verification of a history of varicella disease (chickenpox) or herpes zoster (shingles) by an MD, PA, DO, or APRN can be substituted for a record of varicella vaccination. 
  • Tdap (Tetanus-Diptheria-pertussis) One dose of Tdap administered on or after age 10 and after 2005.

Where can I get a TB screening, test, or immunizations?

  • University of Hawaiʻi Maui College (UHMC) Student Health Center 310 W. Ka‘ahumanu Ave. Kahului, HI 96732 (808) 984-3493
  • Talk to your doctor. If you don’t have a doctor and need one, call Aloha United Way 2-1-1for as referral
  • Wailuku Health Center 121 Mahalani Street Wailuku, HI 96793 (808) 984-8260 / (808) 984-2128 – TB ONLY

We recommend the UHMC Health Center as your first choice. They can usually see you for same-day appointments, they have all of the required vaccines, and do TB screening and testing. In addition, their services are very affordable, and they can answer any of your questions. Clearance vaccines are offered at only the $10 administration fee for current and future students.

Where do I submit?


The University of Hawaiʻi has partnered with Med+Proctor for the clearance of Health Immunization Records. As of Spring 2023, all new incoming students are required to use Med+Proctor to submit their Health Clearance/Immunization records.

To submit your records for clearance, use the following instructions to create your Med+Proctor account:

Step One: Register

  • Ensure you have been admitted and have a UH Student ID number and have created your UH username before completing this process. Click here if you need to create your UH Username. You can find your UH ID number in your acceptance email.
  • Then go to Med+Proctor to register for an account.

Step Two: Gather your documents

  • If you have your health clearance records, you may upload that to Med+Proctor. Or if documentation is not available, you may download the UH Health Clearance Form and have a licensed medical provider complete the form. (A licensed provider can sign the form; it does not have to be the provider who originally vaccinated you.) However, that provider will need some way to know when you were vaccinated. This can be a useful option if your records are in a format in which your name is not on the same page as the vaccination date, but a provider can easily tell that the record is legitimate. 

Step Three: Upload

  • Once you've collected all the necessary documents and or your form has been completed and signed by a healthcare provider, log back into your account and upload it to Med+Proctor. (If you have proof of immunization from a pharmacy, you may upload those and Med+Proctor will be able to verify this information.)

Questions and Support

Med+Proctor is HIPAA and FERPA compliant. Review their privacy policy. For assistance with Med+Proctor, please visit to live chat between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday or email at anytime. Due to federal FERPA and HIPAA regulations Med+Proctor does not offer telephone customer support to discuss student medical records or class hold status.

What tests and immunizations are required by the 1st day of school? 

(all of the details including exceptions , exemptions, etc. )


  • A completed tuberculin (TB ) clearance form (such as the State of Hawaiʻi TB Risk Assessment Form and Clearance Form) or the UHMC Health Center TB Clearance Form
    • TB clearance has to be done in the 12 months before starting at UH                OR
    • must have been done on or after the age of 16.
  • If risks for TB are found on the TB Risk Assessment, you will need one of the following tests to complete your TB clearance:
    • A negative Tuberculin skin test (PPD-Mantoux). A bubble of solution is put under the skin, and you have to return to have the skin test read 48-72 hours after that, and documented in millimeters (mm). Test results without the induration in millimeters will be rejected.
    • A negative QuantiFERON Gold In-Tube or T-Spot Blood Test. This is a better test than the skin test if you know you have been immunized to TB (only people born outside of the US)
    • A negative chest x-ray (taken within the last 12 months) with radiology report/results attached.


  • Not required if the planned course of study is less than 120 days.
  • If the student is never physically on campus for instruction or training.
  • If the student is enrolled in the Early College Dual Enrollment program.
  • If the student is taking on-line only courses.



  • TB clearance should be completed before receiving any live vaccines or before getting any vaccines.
  • Quantiferon Gold Test/Blood Test Results done both inside and outside of the U.S. are accepted
  • All TB screening/skin tests/chest x-rays MUST be completed and signed or stamped by a U.S.-licensed Healthcare Practitioner (MD, DO, APRN, or PA. per Chapter 164.2 of Title 11. Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) for Tuberculosis)


  • 2 doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) are required
    • 1st dose must have been given on or after 12 months of age.
    • 2nd dose must have been given at least 4 weeks after the first dose.


  • Student was born before 1957 (must provide proof of birth date).


  • 2 doses of varicella vaccine are required.
    • 1st dose must be given after the age of 12 months.
    • 2nd dose must have been given 4 weeks after 1st dose (for students who received 1st dose at age 13 years or older)


  • Students born in the United States prior to 1980 (must provide proof of date of birth)
  • Documented diagnosis or verification of a history of varicella disease or herpes zoster signed by a practitioner (MD, DO, APRN, or PA) may be substituted for a record of varicella vaccination. Practitioners may complete this form to confirm the documented diagnosis, but must be able to provide the date of the illness.


  • 1 dose required - most recent Tdap.
  • NOTE: Valid Tdap dose must be administered on or after 10 years of age. Do not confuse with DTaP (administered to children 0-6 years of age). Tdap was licensed for use in the U.S. in 2005. Doses recorded as “Tdap” with an administration date in the U.S. prior to 2005 cannot be accepted. A Td vaccine, currently offered by some providers on Maui will also not be accepted. 

MCV (MENINGOCOCCAL CONJUGATE) - Not required for UHMC students


  • Valid exemptions for MMR, Varicella, and TDAP immunizations include medical and/or religious reasons.
  • Persons claiming a religious exemption to immunization requirements must complete and sign the Religious Exemption Form for Immunizations
  • Persons claiming a medical exemption to immunization requirements must have their physician sign the Medical Exemption Form. This must be done by a provider who is familiar with your medical history. 
  • NO medical and/or religious exemption are allowed for TB clearance. TB clearance is required to participate in any on-campus activity (e.g. in-person classes, etc.)
  • Those enrolled in Fully Online Programs are exempt from submitting Health Clearances. *Please note, if you wish to participate in on-campus employment and or activities, you must submit Health Clearances to do so.