Rights and Responsibilities of Financial Aid Recipients
Please review the rights and responsibilities financial aid recipients have. If you have any questions about these items please contact the Financial Aid Office at 984-3277.
You have the right to know:
- What financial assistance is available at UHMC. Click here for types of financial aid assistance.
- The criteria, procedures and deadlines for submitting applications for each financial aid program (including federal, state, and institutional aid programs).
- The cost of attending UHMC, the UHMC refund policy and how your estimated expenses are developed.
- The criteria used by the UHMC Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to select financial aid recipients.
- How your financial aid eligibility was determined.
- Expect that your financial records, your parents’ financial records, and your award information be kept confidential in accordance with the Federal Education Rights to Privacy Act. Click here for UHMC’s FERPA policy.
- The terms and conditions of the various financial aid programs, including the criteria for your continued eligibility in the programs.
- The method by which disbursements will be made to you and the frequency of those disbursements. More disbursement information can be found here.
- How UHMC determines whether you are making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for financial aid and what happens if you are not. Click here for UHMC’s Satisfactory Academic Progress information.
- The terms of any employment program you participate in.
- To know the names of bodies that accredit, approve, or license the institution and its programs and how their documents may be reviewed.
- To know campus security policies and crime statistics.
- To know what facilities and services are available to students with disabilities.
As a financial aid recipient, you are responsible for:
- Supplying complete and accurate information on which we base your eligibility for aid.
- Using the aid offered for educationally related expenses.
- Assume responsibility for repayment of all loans accepted. For more information on student loans click here.
- Review the loan terms and process any documents regarding repayment prior to graduation.
- You must participate in the loan entrance counseling program prior to receiving your first loan and an exit interview at the conclusion of your enrollment at UHMC.
- For Federal Direct Student Loans, notify the loan servicer of address changes and other information as specified in the loan terms.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in the course of study you are pursuing and following UHMC’s SAP Policy.
- You are responsible for the repayment of any over award of financial aid.