DIRECT LOAN PROCESS
IMPORTANT: If you are attempting the loan process for the first time for Fall 2016/Spring 2017, you will not be able to start the loan process until July 2016. We will send you an email to your UH email account when the loan process is available.
If you have previously received a Federal Direct Loan at UH Maui College, follow the instructions below:
- Log on to www.studentloans.gov to make sure that you have completed a Master Promissory note and Entrance counseling for UH Maui College. If both requirements are completed there is no further action you need to take.
If this is your first time receiving a Federal Direct Loan at UH Maui College, follow the instructions below:
- After you have accepted your loans through your UH portal you must wait ONE WEEK before you complete the Stafford Entrance Exam and Master Promissory Note (MPN) process below.
- **If you are a freshman student and a first-time borrower, you are not eligible for your loan until 30 days into the semester, at which time we may ask you to verify your attendance in your classes. In addition, you are required to complete two Life Skills lessons. Please click here to access the Life Skills instructions. Make sure to complete the lessons for First Time Loan Borrowers.
COMPLETING THE ENTRANCE COUNSELING AND MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE
You will need your verified FSA ID (FAFSA Username & Password). If you do not have a FSA ID, click Create an FSA ID to apply for one.
1. Go to www.studentloans.gov
2. Click the Log In button
3. Enter your information on the sign in screen and click Log In
4. Once you are on the Welcome screen, click the appropriate link to perform:
- Complete Counseling
- Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN)
5. Follow the instructions on the Complete Counseling screen for Entrance Counseling
6. Follow the instructions on the Complete Master Promissory Note screen
Your loan funds will be received by the school approximately 2 weeks after you have completed the online Entrance Exam and Master Promissory Note. If you are a freshman student and first-time borrower, you are not eligible for your loan until 30 days into the semester
- You must enter all required information. The required fields are indicated by *
- Errors or invalid conditions are indicated by a red circled x. Hover your cursor over the red circled x to see a description of the error. See example below.