The first thing we will need to know is your Dependency Status (see below). Why? Because it is needed to determine financial need for federal student aid as well as for EOC eligibility. If you are considered a dependent of your parents for financial aid purposes, you must also include the your parent information – their taxable income, the number of dependents, and their signature on the EOC Request for Services (RFS) form.
- Review and complete the Request for Service (RFS) form. Moloka`i or Lana`i residents, please complete the Moloka`i/Lana`i RFS form
- Turn in the Request for Service form to EOC (drop it off in person, take it to UHMC Ed Centers to fax to EOC, to your school high school counselor to give to us, mail it, or fax it)
- Our Director will review your form. Once accepted into our program, EOC will call to schedule an appointment for accepted applicants and refer non-eligible participants to appropriate resources
- If you want to be seen immediately, you can bring your completed RFS form to the office, have it reviewed by our Director, and if accepted, you can be seen for a walk-in appointment
EOC uses the federal financial aid guidelines to determine parental dependency. Students are considered INDEPENDENT of their parents if they can answer “Yes” to any of these questions :
- Will you be at least 24 years of age by December 31?
- Are you in college and working on a master’s degree (e.g. MA, MS), professional degree (e.g. M.D., J.D.) or a doctoral degree?
- As of today, are you married?
- Do you have children or other dependents (other than a spouse) who receive more than half of their support from you?
- At any time since you turned 13, were you an orphan, in foster care, or a ward of the court?
- Prior to reaching 18 years of age, were you an emancipated minor or did you have court-appointed legal guardian?
- Are you homeless (i.e. you lacked a fixed, regular, & adequate nighttime residence) or at risk of becoming homeless?
- Are you a veteran or currently on active duty in the military?
Questions, please feel free to call 984-3286.