Connecting Food & Community
The Maui Food Innovation Center (MFIC) is Hawai’i’s first college-based business incubator which serves to foster and accelerate the growth and education of agribusinesses and food entrepreneurs. As a part of the University of Hawai’i Maui College, MFIC is helping to build a stronger, more economically diverse, and sustainable Maui by supporting the value-added food industry. MFIC assists its community by providing technological expertise, innovative training, industry consultation, a state of the art manufacturing facility, and a Resource Hub for new and established food entrepreneurs endeavoring to bring their products to market locally, regionally, and nationally.
MFIC STRIVES TO…
- INCREASE profitability of Maui’s food industry by supporting the development of new value-added food products.
- REDUCE our islands’ dependence on imports.
- CONTRIBUTE to the sustainability of island-based agriculture.
- CREATE job opportunities.
- IMPACT revenue for food businesses, Maui County, and the State of Hawai’i.
- CONNECT foodpreneurs with local farmers, food industry leaders, and business experts.
- SERVE community with outstanding resources, services, and education.
Mentoring the development of regional food entrepreneurs.
Providing a home for small businesses to grow in a shared-use test kitchen.
Training programs for non-credit and certificate-based programs.
MFIC delivers innovative educational and technical training courses to support a vibrant value-added food industry and serves a broad array of individuals within the community including:
- New and established food entrepreneurs
- Food service business
- UHMC – Culinary, Business, Science students interested in food manufacturing
- Workforce development
- Women, Veteran, and minority-owned food businesses
- Native Hawaiian food business owners