Personal Support Counseling
Aloha, and welcome to UH Maui College Personal Support Counseling. Student success is a core value of UH Maui College. To help students meet their educational and career goals, the college offers a variety of programs and services on campus. One of the essential and fundamental services for students is personal support counseling. Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Personal Support Counseling Services will make every effort to provide prompt service. Initial appointments with a counselor are made as soon as possible, usually within a week. Emergencies, of course, are seen immediately. UHMC's Personal Support Counseling office is available on the Kahului campus for students interested in short-term, individual, group, or couples counseling and crisis services. We are available for students experiencing emotional, developmental, or psychological concerns, problems in adjusting, and other factors that affect their ability to achieve academic and personal goals. We also offer counseling support to students experiencing crisis involving traumatic events and emotional distress. We provide a safe, confidential setting to allow for individual growth through a positive therapeutic relationship. No cost services to students of UH Maui. Referrals to outside services in the community are provided when necessary.
The primary goals of our Services include but are not limited to
- Crisis Intervention for students
- Short-term counseling after the crisis for 8-10 weeks
- In-service or professional development. For faculty and staff through partnerships and teaming with community
- Classroom presentations and orientation sessions
- Promote positive health and wellness through outreach and prevention
- Provide health and wellness services to a diverse range of students to enhance their lives and promote social, personal, and academic growth
- Consultation to any student, faculty, or staff
Counseling is a process of sharing thoughts and feelings with a professional counselor who is objective and is a good listener. Counselors assist students by discussing new perspectives and approaches to solving a problem by giving needed information and helping to clarify thoughts and feelings, or just through listening.
REQUEST PERSONAL SUPPORT COUNSELING
If you’re experiencing an emergency, call 911 or go to nearest Emergency Room.
Maui College Personal Support Counselors are available to offer emotional and personal support during this season of changes, transitions and uncertainty. Personal Support Counselors are trained professionals in the mental health field. Confidential sessions are conducted via telehealth and phone.
To schedule an appointment, email Aris Banaag or Mari Kanemura.
- For additional information, please visit: https://maui.hawaii.edu/personal-support-helpful-links/
- For additional mental health resources please go to UH Maui College ULifeline Link
- For immediate emergencies: Call 911
- Maui County Access Line: 1-800-753-6879
- National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- 24 Hour Sex Assault Hotline: 808-873-8624
- 24 Hour Domestic Violence Hotline: 808-579-9581